1. The Club shall be called the Central
Sussex Motor Club (hereinafter called "the Club")
2. The objects of the Club shall be:-
(a) to promote motor sport and motoring competitions in accordance with the requirements of the Royal Automobile Club Motor Sports Association Ltd. (hereinafter called the RACMSA)
(b) to arrange tours, lectures, discussions and social and other meetings.
3. The Committee
(a) The Club shall be managed by a Committee which shall consist of a Secretary and Treasurer and not less than three other members and with recommended representation of 10% of the membership wherever practical.
(b) The Committee shall be elected at the Annual General Meeting on each year, and subject to termination of office by resignation or otherwise, shall remain in office until their successors are elected at the Annual General Meeting next following their election.
(c) The Committee shall have power to fill any vacancy that may occur.
(d) The retiring members of the Committee shall be eligible for re-election.
(e) The Committee shall have power to elect a sub-committee of not less than three members to meet on its behalf in any matter which is specifically referred to such a sub-committee.
(f) The Committee shall elect a Chairman from its members at the Committee Meeting next following the Annual General Meeting, who shall remain in office until the next Annual General Meeting or otherwise, and who shall preside at all Committee and General Meetings. The Chairman shall have a casting or additional vote in the event of equality of votes.
(g) It shall be the duty of the Secretary to attend, in person or by deputy, all meetings of the Club and Committee and take a record of the proceedings.Such a record shall be entered in a book and presented for confirmation at the following meeting.
(h) It shall be the duty of the Treasurer to bank all monies of the Club, and to make no disbursements therefrom except in accordance with the form or forms authorised by the Committee. The Treasurer shall also prepare and produce to the Club at the Annual General Meeting following soonest, a statement of Account duly audited showing receipts and expenditure for the year ended 30th April.
(i) The Committee shall meet when summoned to do so by the Secretary who may convene a meeting in the following ways:-
(a) of his or her own accord.
(b) by direction of the Chairman.
(c) not more than 14 days after receipt by the Secretary of a requisition signed by not less than half of the Committee members.
(j) Any member of the Committee who shall absent themselves without sufficient reason, from three consecutive Committee Meetings shall be understood to have resigned their position on the Committee and shall be notified of the same in writing by the Secretary.
(k) Each member of the Committee shall be entitled to exercise one vote at a meeting of the Committee.The Chairman shall not vote except as previously stated.the Committee shall vote by ballot should any member so desire.
(l) At least one Committee member (or appointed deputy) shall be present at all official Club nights and functions.
4. Every candidate for membership shall apply in writing and election shall be at the discretion of the Committee.
5. Membership of the Club shall entitle a person to:-
(a) attend General meetings of the Club.
(b) exercise a vote at General Meetings (except in the case of the Chairman).
(c) the receipt of a copy of these Rules and all amendments thereto.
(d) the receipt of all Club magazines published whilst he or she is a member.
6. Each person who is selected as a member of the Club shall agree to abide by these Rules and by the General Competition Rules of the RACMSA and to accept as final and binding the decision of the Committee in all cases of dispute or disagreement.
7. No person under 14 years of age shall be eligible for membership of the Club.
8. The Annual Subscription for full members and Husband and Wife membership shall be as shown in the current magazine. The annual subscription for members between 14 and 16 years of age, inclusive, shall be 50% of the current membership fee. Subscriptions shall be due on the last day of the month following the anniversary date of joining the club.
9. Any member who has been a full member for not less than one year may, subject to the consent of the Committee, become a Life Member on payment of not less than ten times the annual subscription in lieu of further annual subscriptions. The Committee shall have power to fix a limit on the number of Life Members.
10. The Committee shall have power to elect as Honorary Life Members, without payment of any subscription, any person who shall in the opinion of the Committee have rendered exceptional services to the Club, but such election shall not take effect unless and until confirmed at the Annual General Meeting next ensuing the date of such election.
11. All members who neglect to comply with a written request for payment within twenty-eight days after such request shall have been made, shall cease to be a member at the expiration of such twenty-eight days unless a reason satisfactory to the committee shall be given for the delay. No member who is in arrears shall be eligible to take part in any competition promoted by the Club or other Club under the general Competition Rules of the RACMSA.
12. The Committee shall have power to expel any member who shall offend against the rules of the Club or whose conduct shall in the opinion of the Committee render him or her unfit for membership of the Club. Before any such member shall be expelled the Secretary shall give him or her seven days written notice to attend a meeting of the Committee and shall inform him or her of the complaints made. No member shall be expelled without first having an opportunity of appearing before the Committee and answering complaints made against him or her, nor unless at least two thirds of the Committee then present vote in favour of his or her expulsion.
13. The Committee shall have power to alter the rules, but such alteration shall not take effect until the same has been confirmed at the Annual General Meeting convened for the purpose.
14. The Committee shall have power to make byelaws for regulating the conduct and affairs of the Club provided the same are not inconsistent with these rules. Such byelaws will be notified in the Club magazine and will be binding on all members.
15. A General Meeting of the Club shall be held in every year during the month of June to transact the following businesses:-
(a) to receive and, if approved, to adopt a statement of the Club's Accounts to the end of the preceding year.
(b) to consider and, if approved, to sanction any duly made alterations to these rules.
(c) to appoint the President, Vice-President, Secretary and Treasurer, and the members of the Committee.
(d) to receive from the outgoing Committee a report of the Club's activities during the past year.
(e) to deal with any special matter which the Committee may desire to bring before the members or that the members may have requested to be dealt with.
16. A notice convening the Annual General Meeting shall be sent to all members not less than 21 days before the meeting. Any member who wishes a matter to be discussed under (e) above shall advise the Secretary in writing not less than 14 days before June 1st so that such matter can be included on an Agenda which shall be sent to all members not less than 5 days before the meeting. Non-receipt of such notice or agenda shall not invalidate the meeting. Nominations for candidates for election to the Committee must be received in writing by the Secretary not less than seven days before the General Meeting, or from the floor.
17. A Special General Meeting may be convened in the following ways:-
(a) at any time by the Committee.
(b) within 28 days from the receipt of a requisition in writing signed by not less than 12 members specifying the object of the meeting.
18. A Special General Meeting may be convened for the following purposes:-
(a) to consider and, if approved, sanction and duly made alteration of the rules.
(b) to deal with any special matter which the Committee may desire to place before the members, including the expulsion of a member.
(c) to receive the resignation of the Committee or to remove any member or members thereof from office and to fill any vacancy or vacancies caused thereby.
(d) to deal with any special matter which the members requesting the meeting may desire to be placed before the Club.
19. Notice convening a Special General Meeting shall be sent to the members not less than 21 days before the meeting and shall specify the matters to be dealt with. Non-receipt of such notice shall not invalidate the meeting. At all General Meetings a majority of votes shall decide a resolution.
20. At the following meetings a quorum shall consist of:-
(a) Committee (except for the purpose of Rule 11) not less than half the Committee shall form a Quorum.
(b) Special General Meetings, 20% of the membership shall form a Quorum.
(c) The Annual General Meeting, 20% of the membership as at June 1st shall form a Quorum.
21. All motor competitions promoted by the
Club or which the Club has been invited to take part in shall be held under the General
Competition Rules of the RACMSA and in accordance with any other requirement of the
22. Any member convicted of an offence arising out of his or her being in charge of a motor vehicle in a Club event or on Club business shall be liable for expulsion under Rule 12.
23. Any badge issued to a member by or for the Club shall remain the property of the Club. On the termination of their membership, members should deliver up to the Secretary all such badges.
24. All Club trophies shall remain the property of the Club in perpetuity and when awarded must be returned within 11 months or upon demand.
25. When a club member has won the same award for 5 consecutive years a suitably engraved commemorative trophy shall be awarded to become the property of that recipient.
26. The Club may be dissolved by a Special General Meeting. If the resolution is passed, the Committee shall forthwith liquidate the affairs of the Club and if there shall be any surplus assets on realisation these shall be disposed of at the discretion of the Committee.